The purpose of the SRC is to cooperate in and complement the objectives of YTU by representing and serving students enrolled there. It is represented on the Senate and Education Board by the President and Secretary, and in each Faculty Department by representatives from the student body.
The SRC is composed of a President, Secretary, and Treasurer elected from among the whole student body. This election takes place in the second semester, to take effect in the following year. There are elected representatives from the independent students and it is desirable that each member College has a representative, elected at the beginning of each year
The student body, together with the Faculty, is responsible for organising and advertising events and activities throughout the year, of which the following are significant for 2020:
February 21 Orientation Programme and BBQ
February 28 Inaugural Eucharistic Celebration and Supper
March 9-13 Hospitality Week
August 14 SRC Evening
November 20 End of Year Eucharist and Supper
The SRC also has responsibility for:
- Encouraging students to actively participate as FIRE carrier ambassadors
- Organising the weekly Eucharists
- Arranging and promoting the opening and closing Eucharists
- Providing facilities for the students in the Common Room
- Managing SRC finances
- Organising social functions throughout the year
- Upkeep of the Prayer Room
- Supporting the work of the Chaplain
- Managing the election of, and supporting and communicating with, the departmental representatives
- Electing a representative to the OH&S committee
- Creating a weekly student bulletin
STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES ON DEPARTMENTS
The election of the student representatives is managed by the SRC. These students represent their peers in Departments A and B, C or D, and will attend Department meetings. They are a voice for students on planning and decision making and may have further opportunities to attend other Boards or working groups. The SRC communicates with and supports the student representatives.
Chaplain: To be advised
The Chaplain’s room is currently situated in the Study Centre. The Chaplain is available for all at YTU and encourages those who wish to make a set time to meet, to call or email.