This unit can be undertaken as full time (DS8704Y) or part time (DS8714Y) and (DS8724Y)
The unit covers both the human experience of God – a detailed study of God’s working in personal experience and consequent approaches to prayer — and ethics and professional standards in ministry, with particular application to the ministry of spiritual direction. Each student will direct a retreat under supervision as part of this unit.
Enrolment in Graduate Diploma in Spiritual Direction at Heart of Life Centre
Full time = DS8702Y and DS8706Y
Part time = DS8712Y and DS8716Y
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the anthropological, psychological and pastoral underpinnings of the ministry of spiritual direction
- discuss the various ways of expressing the human encounter with God
- critically evaluate different traditions of spirituality and their different approaches to the practice of prayer
- integrate the ethics of spiritual direction in their own practice.
3000 word reflection paper / Human Experience (50%); 1500 word reflection paper/ Ethics (25%); 1500 word critical reflection on the experience of leading a retreat under supervision (based on a journal) (25%)
* = set texts recommended for purchase
* Australian Catholic Bishops’ Conference & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes. Integrity in Ministry. Canberra: ACBC,2004.
* ———. Integrity in the Service of the Church: A Resource Document of Principles and Standards for Lay Workers in the Catholic Church in Australia. Canberra: National Committee for Professional Standards, 2011.
* Australian Ecumenical Council for Spiritual Direction. Code of Ethics for Spiritual Directors, http://spiritualdirection.org.au, 2005.
* Barry, William A. Spiritual Direction and the Encounter with God. New York: Paulist, 1992.
Burrows, Ruth. Essence of Prayer. Mahwah, NJ: Hidden Spring, 2006.
* Gallagher, Brian. Taking God to Heart. Sydney, NSW: St. Pauls, 2008.
Gula, Richard. Ethics in Pastoral Ministry. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist, 1996.
———. Just Ministry, New York, NY: Paulist Press, 2010.
Ignatius of Loyola, Spiritual Exercise. Chicago: Loyola UP, 1952.
* Keating, Thomas. The Human Condition: Contemplation and Transformation. New York: Paulist Press, 2007.
May, Gerald G. The Dark Night of the Soul. New York, NY: Harper San Francisco, 2005.
Matthew, Iain. The Impact of God: Soundings from St. John of the Cross. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1995.
PAUL BEIRNE, PETER MALONE MSC