2nd semester: Thursday morning (Min. No. 8)
This unit will cover the history of the study of the Psalms and contemporary interpretative concerns, including poetics and the shape of the Psalter. It will also cover the ongoing role of the Psalms in nurturing the human spirit.
PREREQUSITES: Successful completion of BA8000Y or equivalent
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a knowledge of the various genres found in the Psalter and the contribution of poetics to the study of Psalms
2. show understanding of the various ways the Psalms have been studied over more than 2000 years
3. apply both diachronic and synchronic methods to the study of specific Psalms
4. critically examine the shape of the Psalter and its impact on the meaning of the Psalms
5. assess the value of the Psalms in Jewish and Christian religious and spiritual life throughout the ages and today
6. compare and evaluate contemporary insights in the study of the Psalms
2000 word exegetical paper (35%); 4000 word major essay (65%)
Alter, Robert. The Art of Biblical Poetry. New York: Basic Books, 1985.
Day, John. Psalms. OTG. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1992.
Gerstenberger, Erhard S. Psalms. FOTL 14. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1988.
———. Psalms, Part 2 and Lamentations. FOTL15. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2001.
Gillingham, S. Psalms through the Centuries. Vol. 1. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2008.
Goldingay, J. Psalms. Vols 1, 2 and 3. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic Press, 2006 and 2007.
Holladay, William L. The Psalms through Three Thousand Years. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 1996.
Jacobson, Rolf A., ed. Soundings in the Theology of Psalms: Perspectives and Methods in Contemporary Scholarship. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2010.
Miller, Patrick D. They Cried to the Lord: The Form and Theology of Biblical Prayer. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 1994.
McCann, J. Clinton, ed. The Shape and Shaping of the Psalter. JSOTSup 159. Sheffield: JSOT, 1993.
Reid, Stephen B. Psalms and Practice. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2001.
Schaefer, K. Psalms. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2001.
Zenger, Erich. A God of Vengeance? Understanding the Psalms of Wrath. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 1996.
———. The Composition of the Book of Psalms. BETL 238. Leuven: Peeters, 2010.
Lecturer: MARY REABURN NDS