Elective Unit (Min. No. 8)
2nd semester intensive: July 15/16; July 29; August 26/27; September 2
This unit provides an opportunity for participants to reflect on decreasing interest in institutional religion, but increasing interest in spirituality.
Using a range of educational tools, the unit will examine: generational differences in the western post-modern world; the role of religion in traditional and post-traditional societies; an overview of the development theory; biblical, traditional and more modern understandings of faith; the dialogue between institutional religion and personal spirituality; the modern challenges facing individuals and religious communities in our contemporary scientifically oriented society.
- identify the impact of generational and cultural changes on the role of religion, images of God and the understanding of faith
- exhibit an awareness of theological and developmental theories of human growth
- discuss cultural and age-related issues in the construction and reconstruction of meaning
- recognize the relationship between people’s image of God and their ideas about religion and spirituality
- analyse the challenges and possibilities of reconstructing personal and communal meaning in our contemporary scientifically-oriented society
- propose and evaluate a way of engaging Christian identity with broad, diffuse spirituality in contemporary culture
2000 word analytical essay (30%); 4000 word essay (70%)
BIBLIOGRAPHY * = set texts recommended for purchase
Bouma, Gary. Australian Soul – Religion and Spirituality in Australia. Melbourne: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
Cowdell, Scott. God’s Next Big Thing – Discovering the Future Church. Mulgrave: John Garratt, 2004.
Delio, Ilia. The Emergent Christ, New York: Orbis Books, 2011.
Frame, Tom. Losing my Religion – Unbelief in Australia. Sydney, NSW: UNSW Press, 2009.
Gallagher, Michael Paul. Faith Maps. London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 2010.
Langmead, Ross. Reimagining God and Mission. Adelaide: ATF, 2007.
O’Leary, Daniel. Begin with the Heart Recovering a Sacramental Vision. Dublin: The Columba Press, 2008.
Maher, Anthony, ed. Bridging the Divide between Faith, Theology and Life. Adelaide: ATF Theology, 2015.
Ranson, David. Across the Great Divide – Bridging Religion and Spirituality Today. Strathfield: St Pauls, 2002.
Rolheiser, Ronald. Seeking Spirituality – Guidelines for a Christian Spirituality for the Twenty-First Century. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1998.
Rolheiser, Ronald. Secularity and the Gospel – Being Missionaries to our Children. New York: Crossroad, 2006.
Tacey, David. Beyond Literal Belief, Religion as Metaphor. Mulgrave, VIC: Garratt Publishing, 2015.
Treston, Kevin. Emergence for life not fall from grace. Preston: Mosaic, 2013.
Walker, Andrew. Spirituality in the City. London: SPCK, 2005
Webb, Val. In Defence of Doubt. St. Louis, MI: Chalice Press, 1995.
Lecturer: ROSE MARIE PROSSER