Elective unit (Min. No. 8)
2nd semester: Wednesday morning
This unit provides further examination of the 1983 Code of Canon Law with emphasis on selected topics relevant to an understanding of the role of law in the life of the Church. Topics to be covered include: the Supreme Authority of the Catholic Church; Particular Churches and their Groupings; the Internal Ordering of Particular Churches; Governance; Orders; Sacred Ministers or Clerics; the Teaching Office of the Church; and Temporal Goods. Sanctions in the Church and processes will be covered as required.
PREREQUISITES: Canon Law A
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- apply the principles of interpretation of Canon Law to concrete situations
- articulate the principles of law relating to the hierarchical structure and general governance of the Catholic Church
- discuss the laws of the Church relating to the Sacrament of Orders
- demonstrate understanding of major aspects of the laws relating to governance, particular churches, the teaching office of the Church and temporal goods
- critically apply the laws of the church to everyday pastoral situations in parish and diocesan life
Tutorial paper 1000 words (20%); tutorial paper 1000 words (20%); 4000 word essay (60%)
BIBLIOGRAPHY *set text recommended for purchase
Beal, J. P., James A. Coriden and Thomas J. Green, eds. New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 2000.
*Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland. The Code of Canon Law in English Translation. New rev. ed. London: Collins, 1997.
———. The Canon Law: Letter and Spirit. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1995.
Coriden, J. A. An Introduction to Canon Law. Rev. ed. London: Burns & Oates, 2004.
Flannery, A., ed. Vatican Council II: The Conciliar and Post-Conciliar Documents. Northport, NY: Costello, 1998.
———. Vatican Council II: More Conciliar and Post-Conciliar Documents. Northport, NY: Costello, 1998.
Huels, J. The Pastoral Companion: A Canon Law Handbook for Catholic Ministry. Quincy, IL: Franciscan, 2009.
Peters, Edward N. The 1917 or Pio-Benedictine Code of Canon Law: In English Translation with Extensive Scholarly Apparatus. San Francisco, CA: Ignatius Press, 2001.
Roman Replies and CLSA Advisory Opinions. Washington, DC: CLSA. 13 Vols to date, 1983-2016.
Lecturer: ROSEMARIE JOYCE CSB