Elective Unit Cross listed as CT9320Y & DS9320Y (Min. No. 8)
Intensive unit: Saturdays: Aug 5th & 19th; Sept 2nd & 16th; Oct 14th & 28th
This unit explores the place of Mary in the tradition of western Christianity, through various prisms: theology, scripture, art, spirituality, history, hymnody and more. Mary will be studied using the tools of these disciplines. The unit will consider the role of Mary in history, culture and theology both methodically and critically.
Normally one foundational unit in CH or CT or DS
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- evaluate Christian traditions concerning Mary in the light of their biblical foundations
- explain development in the theologies about, cults of, and devotion to Mary because of their historical context
- analyse the mutual effect of developments in theological reflection upon Mary and of cultural and artistic expressions of her and her cult
- assess critically a Marian spirituality in the light of the theological, biblical and historical traditions concerning Mary
- present a sustained and multidisciplinary argument on a selected aspect of the Christian tradition concerning Mary.
Five 600 word reflections (50%); 3000 word Essay (50%)
BIBLIOGRAPHY * = set texts recommended for purchase
The Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission. Mary: Grace and Hope in Christ. Harrisburg/ London: Morehouse, 2005.
Boss, Sarah Jane. Mary: The Complete Resource. Oxford: OUP, 2007.
Ebertshauser, Caroline. Mary: Art, Culture and Religion through the Ages. New York: Crossroad Publications, 1998.
Farrell, Marie. Gathering with Mary Under the Southern Cross. Strathfield, NSW: St Paul’s, 2007
Gaventa, Beverly Roberts. Mary: Glimpses of the Mother of Jesus. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1995.
Graef, Hilda, ed., Mary: A History of Doctrine and Devotion. Notre Dame, IN: Christian Classics, 2009.
Johnson, Elizabeth. Truly Our Sister: A Theology of Mary in the Communion of Saints. New York: Continuum, 2003.
Katz, Melissa R. ed., Divine Mirrors: The Virgin Mary in the Visual Arts. Oxford: OUP, 2001.
Levine, Amy-Jill. ed., A Feminist Companion to Mariology. London: T & T Clark, 2005.
Rubin, Miri. Mother of God: A History of the Virgin Mary. New Haven, CT: Yale UP, 2009.
Lecturer: CLAIRE RENKIN, CHRIS MONAGHAN CP, JANETTE GRAY RSM, MATTHEW BECKMANN OFM