2nd semester Wednesday evening (Min. No. 8)
The unit will consist of an examination of the major issues associated with contemporary study of the Book of Isaiah, namely how much can be known about the prophet Isaiah and his preaching, the hypothesis of three major editions of the book (chs. 1–39; 40–55 and 56–66) stemming from different periods in Israelite tradition, and the impact this has on one’s reading of the book and its theology. The unit will also involve exegesis of selected texts in the book.
PREREQUISITES:BA8000Y and BA8000Y or equivalent
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- demonstrate competence in the methodologies and conventions of advanced research appropriate to Old Testament texts
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the range of approaches used in critical study of the book of Isaiah
- raise questions about fundamental concepts and approaches in critical study of the book of Isaiah
- demonstrate a broad knowledge of relevant background material in the study of the book of Isaiah
- develop a specific topic of research in a critically rigorous, sustained and self-directed manner.
2000 word exegetical paper (35%); 4000 word essay (65%)
BIBLIOGRAPHY * = set texts recommended for purchase
*Childs, Brevard S. Isaiah. Old Testament Library. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 2001.
Conrad, Edgar W. Reading Isaiah. Overtures to Biblical Theology. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1991.
———. Reading the Latter Prophets. London/New York: T & T Clark, 2003.
Goldingay, John. Isaiah. New International Bible Commentary on the Old Testament 13. Peabody, MA: Paternoster, 2001.
Hoppe, Leslie J. Isaiah. New College Bible commentary. Old Testament, 13. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2012.
Melugin, Roy, and Marvin A. Sweeney, eds. New Visions of Isaiah. JSOTSup 214. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1996.
Oswalt, John N. The Book of Isaiah: Chapters 1-39. NICOT: Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1986.
———. The Book of Isaiah: Chapters 40-66. NICOT. Grand Rapids, MI/Cambridge, UK: Eerdmans, 1998.
Seitz, Christopher. Zion’s Final Destiny: The Development of the Book of Isaiah Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1991.
Watts, John D. W. Isaiah 1-33. WBC 24. Waco, TX: Word Books, 1985.
———. Isaiah 34-66. WBC 25. Waco, TX: Word Books, 1987.
Wildberger, Hans. Isaiah: A Commentary. 3 Vols. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1991- 2002.
Williamson, H.G.M. A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on Isaiah 1–27: Volume 1: Commentary on Isaiah 1-5. London/New York: T & T Clark, 2006.
Lecturer: MARK O’BRIEN OP