DR8601Y Box Hill; DR8621Y Mildura; DR8641Y Ballarat (Min. No. 8)
Course: GCTRE Unit Value: 10 points
This unit introduces teachers to the Scriptures by focussing on particular sections of the First (Old) and Second (New) Testaments and how these are interpreted within the Catholic tradition. It provides an overview of: the relationship between Scripture and Revelation,
principles and methods of biblical interpretation, the significance of the Exodus and the Sinai covenant within Judaism and Christianity, the social, political and religious context of first century CE Judaism, and the formation of the Gospels. Passages will be chosen from Genesis 1-11, Exodus 1-14, Mark’s Gospel and Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- recognise and describe the role of Scripture as witness to God’s revelation for members of the Jewish and Christian faiths
- understand and explain why Scripture was written, and is read, in particular social, political and religious contexts
- demonstrate an understanding that the Gospels present different ‘portraits’ of Jesus
- identify methods of interpretation and engage in basic literary analysis of texts
- apply learnings to support a position on the appropriate uses of Scripture in religious education
2000 word exegetical exercise (50%); 2000 word essay (50%)
* = set texts recommended for purchase
Brueggemann, Walter. An Introduction to the Old Testament. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2003.
Coloe, Mary L. The Two hands of God: Creation and Scripture. Mulgrave, VIC: Garratt Publishing, 2014.
Coloe, Mary L. The Birth Stories of Jesus: Mulgrave, VIC: Garratt Publishing, 2015.
Coogan, Michael D. The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures, Oxford University Press, 2006.
Hendrickx, Herman. The Infancy Narratives. Rev. ed. London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1984.
Monaghan, Christopher J. The Gospels: God with us. Mulgrave, VIC: Garratt Publishing, 2014.
Moloney, Francis J. The Gospel of Mark: A Commentary. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2002.
* _________. Reading the New Testament in the Church: A Primer for Pastors, Religious Educators and Believers. Mulgrave, VIC: Garratt Publishing, 2015.
Rhoads, David. Mark as Story: Introduction to the Narrative of a Gospel. 2nd ed. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 1999.
*Ryan, Maurice, ed. Reading the Bible: An Introduction for Studenst. Hamilton, QLD Lumino Press, 2009.
Scullion, J. J. Genesis. An Introduction for Students, Teachers and Preachers. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1992.
Witherup, Ronald D., ed. Christ in the Gospels of the Liturgical Year Raymond E. Brown, S.S. (1928–1998). Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2008.
ROSE MARIE PROSSER, MARY COLOE PBVM and MARY REABURN NDS